Wednesday, March 9, 2011

John Wheeler: police returned after Mr.Wheelers death and removed items from his home.

Police revisit dead Pentagon official’s house

By Cris Barrish - The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal
Posted : Wednesday Feb 16, 2011 8:57:15 EST

NEW CASTLE, Del. — A team of police crime scene investigators returned to the home of slain former Pentagon official John P. Wheeler III, spending about four hours inside and leaving with a large paper bag and several manila envelopes stuffed with suspected evidence.
Newark police, who are leading the investigation, acknowledged Tuesday they still have no suspects in the 66-year-old Wheeler’s beating death.

Investigators had not been to his home since the initial days after his body was discovered Dec. 31 being dumped into Cherry Island Landfill in Wilmington, Del. The Delaware Medical Examiner’s Office has ruled that he was beaten to death during an assault and died of “blunt-force trauma.”

Lt. Mark Farrall, Newark police spokesman, would not say whether new leads brought officers back to the home or whether the search was part of a routine follow-up in the homicide investigation that involves several local agencies and the FBI.

Farrall said his department’s officers “were out at the house. Other than that, I can’t comment further.”

Neighbor Robert Dill, who lives two doors from the Wheeler home, has been retrieving mail and keeping an eye on the home while Wheeler’s widow, Katherine Klyce, spends most of her time at the couple’s Manhattan condominium. Dill said he noticed a couple of unmarked cars in the driveway and later saw the crime van and other vehicles arrive.

Dill said the officers waved hello but did not say anything to him.

“First time in weeks I’ve seen anybody,” Dill said.

Colm F. Connolly, a former U.S. attorney for Delaware who is representing Wheeler’s family, said he could not comment on the latest search for evidence. The family has offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.